Sunday, August 15, 2010

Health Update: Mayo clinic visits next week

It seems like i'm riding waves with my health journey. As I ride the waves of this journey what gives me comfort so often is my dog Ahnung ... she went through so much before she was rescued and the delight and joy she finds in new experiences always brings a smile to my face. In the photo on the left, this was the first time she had seen a swimming pool and I think she was telling me she wants one too! :)

Before we left for our incredible swim with the dolphin trip in Bimini I was aware that there were still questions and followup tests/procedures that needed to be done on one, possibly two, new lesions that have developed in my left breast. I saw a new doctor at Mayo Clinic Breast Center in Rochester, Minnesota and absolutely love her and the experience I've had there. What a blessing to be only 90 miles away from one of the best hospitals in the country. One doctor told me before I left for Bimini that it would probably be okay to wait 6 months and have a another MRI done to check to see if the lesion has grown. My doctor at Mayo did not think that was a good option especially since she could feel what could possibly be a second lesion. I decided to trust her judgment. Her recommendation: a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound for the lesion that is palpable and then an MRI-guided biopsy if they are unable to detect the lesion with the mammogram or ultrasound. I have the diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound scheduled for Tuesday of next week, the MRI guided biopsy for Wednesday and a meeting with my doctor and the surgeon on Friday to go over all the results. We couldn't scheduled the MRI-guided biopsy any sooner because I was leaving for Bimini to swim with the dolphins and I told her she couldn't stop me!! :) And next week was when it needed to be scheduled due to that wonderful female cycle time and when breast MRIs should be done :)

So by the end of next week I will hopefully know more about the lesion(s) in my breast. Maybe the dolphins in Bimini, when they blessed me with the gift of their touch, took away the lesions .... I don't know what I will find out next week. I admit I am a little anxious and worried. I try to not to be because I know there's nothing I can do, and worry certainly doesn't help! :) What I do pray for every morning is the strength and courage to be okay with whatever comes my way.

As I go through this coming week I will work to stay positive in my mind and in my heart. And if you feel so inclined, I would appreciate any positive energy and thoughts you'd like to send my way :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi- My name is Joe, and I found your blog while surfing blogspot. I was very compelled by your writing, and just wanted to leave a short comment.

    I'm so sorry to read about your situation, but know that at least this stranger is thinking good thoughts for you =) Strength is a funny thing, and even when we think we are broken or even irreparable, we somehow find a way. I have no doubt that will be the case for you.

    And I just had to say that Ahnung is adorable! She looks a lot like my sister's Australian Shepherd/mix.

    Best wishes,

    Joe

    ReplyDelete