Saturday, July 9, 2011

Prayers for my sweet girl Ahnung

On Thursday night at around 9:30 pm as I was rubbing Ahnung's belly (as I often do) I noticed a couple lumps next to one of her nipples. One was the size of a thumbnail ... the other was attached to it and was about the size of my pinky nail. I panicked. I left a message for my friend Vicki (the vet) who texted me back shortly and said to bring her in to the clinic on Friday. I tried to tell myself it was some fatty lump ... it was nothing to worry about. I wanted Vicki to tell me on the phone it's nothing to worry about but I knew she couldn't tell me anything without seeing the lump.

Ahnung and I went to the clinic yesterday afternoon. It's not a fatty lump. Vicki suspects it's breast cancer. Ahnung had 3 chest x-rays done. If there were nodules and cancer had already spread to her lungs Vicki told me she would just send me to see the oncologist. There was no point in aspirating the lump ... she said it needed to be removed - a lumpectomy needed to be done. A lumpectomy is scheduled for early Monday morning. I was scheduled to go out of town for business on Sunday. I ask Vicki if this is something I should get done immediately. She says that if it were her dog she would. The lump is apparently growing fast. I cancel my business trip. This morning I checked her lumps ... they have grown since yesterday. I am terrified of how quickly these lumps are growing.

I can't imagine my life without my sweet girl. She has been my north star and she has helped me through some of my darkest moments. We are so connected. When looking at Ahnung's x-rays Vicki asks me if Ahnung has had heart worm. I say yes. From the shape of Ahnung's heart she is able to tell that. Ahnung and I share heart issues. Her x-rays also show the bullet from the gun shot wound she had when she was first rescued. I have been battling pre-cancer of my left breast. And now Ahnung has two lumps, also in her left breast. I have been telling her to stop trying to take away my health issues. I can deal with whatever health issues life tosses my way ... but dear God, please don't take my sweet girl away from me just yet. Please give me a little more time with her. Please let her continue to shine brightly in the lives of so many others.

I ask for your prayers and your positive and healing thoughts. For those of you that haven't seen the video of her story that I made shortly after I adopted her in in early 2009, check out her very first blog entry at http://ahnung-northstar.blogspot.com/2009/03/ahnung-shine-on.html.

Participating in the 2009 5K9
run/walk with my girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment