Thursday, August 7, 2008

A day to celebrate


I've never been one to celebrate my birthday. It's always been ... just another today. This year is different. Maybe because today I am able to slow down long enough to be grateful for all that I have, and to notice a door that is opening up. My life is taking a turn -- a new chapter is being written in the book of my life. Since my involvement with Pet Haven I have found my voice and my passion. At the end of 2007, after a year of volunteering and serving as President, I found my heart had opened up so much -- so much I was willing to share something very personal about myself to not only the Pet Haven community but to the world. My reflection piece can be found here.

Since that time, I have continued to feel my heart breaking a million times over and over as I immerse myself in animal rescue work, and my heart healing a million times over as i witness the commitment and passion of fellow volunteers and the community to come together to help abused, abandoned and neglected animals. Ode is a puppy Pet Haven took in a few weeks ago. You can read more about her at the Pet Haven blog. I have continued to post updates on this brave spirit. She has endured horrific abuse, yet she has learned to forgive and let her true spirit shine through. Ode (prounounced 'Oday' and means 'heart') has touched the hearts of so many. Her story is one that needs to be shared, and her arrival into Pet Haven's foster program has opened up a new door and given me the inspiration to start writing a new chapter of my life.

And today, on my 44th birthday I am grateful to be able to see little Ode, as I pay her a visit this afternoon with a new friend Jessie who is one of the most inspiring and creative artists. Together we have been touched in a such a deep way by this abused puppy. There's a new chapter, for me, for Jessie, for many Pet Haven volunteers (particularly Ode's foster who has become an incredible advocate and is speaking out on how Ode can help us prevent animal abuse by showing compassion even to those that abuse us) ... we must be like Ode -- open heart, brave spirit.

My prayer for the day... may we all slow down long enough to notice the beauty around us, and to open up our hearts and to be brave.

Namaste.

1 comment:

  1. marilou, i had such an incredible time yesterday. meeting your family (both 2 legged and 4!), at last having a chance to behold ode, falling in love with eve, meeting ode and eve's foster family, and the conversation that could have went on all night!

    thank you for inspiring my work to such a very deep degree. words are not enough to describe the gratitude i feel in knowing you.

    ReplyDelete