Saturday, July 17, 2010

Live Life ... Love Life ...

I am reminded daily of the fragile line we cross at the end of our life when we transform into a new level of existence. Yesterday my dog Ahnung and I went to visit our new patient/friend in hospice. She had taken a turn for the worse. She was in a deep sleep when we were there so we just hung out at her bedside and kept her company. Yesterday my mom's younger brother, Uncle Rey, also passed away from cancer.

Death is much harder for those who are left behind. I have learned that over my life time as I have struggled to come to terms with the death of my Papa when I was four, and the huge crater it left in my heart and in our family. I have experienced a lot of loss ... death of family members, relatives and in the past ten years the loss of three of my beloved dogs. Along with loss at an early age, came fear of abandonment and fear that it was not safe to love because I would only get hurt, again.

Yes, life ... living and dying ... is a double-edged sword. We don't know when it will be our time to cross the line ... what we do know is that we will. So this morning, I share with you a Hafiz poem that reminds me of the importance of loving.

With that Moon Language
~ Hafiz

Admit something:

Everyone you see, you say to them, "Love me."
Of course you do not do this out loud; otherwise
someone would call the cops.
Still, though, think about this, this great pull in us
to connect.
Why not become the one who lives with a full moon
in each eye that is always saying,
with that sweet moon language,
what every other eye in this world is dying to hear?

No comments:

Post a Comment