Monday, July 5, 2010

Dance: Fighting cancer and touching eternity

I watch a lot of Ted videos as I find them both educational and inspiring. This morning I stumbled across a video on the renowned classical Indian dancer Ananda Shankar Jyant. On the home page of her website she says,

"Dance to me has always been the manifest expression of the unmanifest impression. Yes, dance is not some rerefied, exotic activity, far removed from the perceivable. It is that act, consciously performed, which is a manifestation of the inner self endeavoring to shatter through screens of 'illusion' to touch 'reality' ... dance has been, a reason to be; a reason to touch eternity... my language called dance, thus paints before you a canvas of life and beyond ... of our fallible self groping in the dark for that light ... for eternity ... "


On July 1, 2008 she was told she had breast cancer. She shares in this short video her personal story of how she faced this fearful diagnosis and how she dances through it. She says in her video:

"I have tuned out of cancer and tuned into my dance -
my story is the power of thought;
the power of choice;
of focus;
something like cancer becomes insignificant."



No comments:

Post a Comment