Sunday, September 19, 2010

Embodying God ... embracing the dark ..

Full moon at Wilderness Resort, 2010.
I am getting ready to turn in for the night. Today was a much better day than yesterday. Yes, I was busy today but I also worked hard to embody God and the Divine in my being today. I also had a great 8 mile run today and am grateful my body is feeling strong and I am able to exercise and run again.

There have been times in my life when night times and the dark scared me. Not too long ago, my nights were filled with nightmares, flashbacks ... I am now working to create a new story of the night. Last night I went with a good friend of mine to Baylor Park to star gaze ... unfortunately there were too many clouds in the skies to see the stars, the planets, the distant galaxies. Yet to be under the night skies felt peaceful. To be out in the country away from all the city lights somehow made me feel closer to God, to the Divine.

As I get ready to go to bed I will embody God and I will embrace the dark. I will embody God and I will feel the Divine's presence in every cell of my body ... even the growing lump in my breast.

This morning I shared a Rilke poem that touched my soul.
Tonight, I close with another Rilke poem as I step into the night and embrace the beauty of the dark.


You, darkness, of whom I am born –

I love you more than the flame
that limits the world
to the circle it illumines
and excludes all the rest.

But the darkness embraces everything:
shapes and shadows, creatures and me,
people, nations–just as they are.

It lets me imagine
a great presence stirring beside me.

I believe in the night.

Rilke’s Book of Hours: Love Poems to God

No comments:

Post a Comment