Saturday, October 25, 2008

The dream of now...



What led me to Pet Haven, what led me to truly discover what makes me feel alive was the loss of Shen. Shen means "spirit of fire". I believe there is a spirit of fire, a spirit of passion, in each and every one of us. Shen is in me. I believe there is a Shen in each and every one of us.

In my grief, Shen led me out of the darkness. The work I do now on behalf of abandoned, abused and neglected animals is fueled by her...

I used to dream of doing the work I am doing now.

Today, I live my dream. I am grateful.

The Dream of Now

When you wake to the dream of now
from night and its other dream,
you carry day out of the dark
like a flame.

When spring comes north, and flowers
unfold from earth and its even sleep,
you lift summer on with your breath
lest it be lost ever so deep.

Your life you live by the light you find
and follow it on as well as you can,
carrying through darkness wherever you go
your one little fire that will start again.

- William Stafford



No comments:

Post a Comment