Monday, September 15, 2008

Shen - two years later


Today is Shen's two year anniversary of her passing. I find it hard to believe that is has been two years -- in some ways the time has just flown by, in other ways it seems like time has come to a standstill. What remains constant, however, is how much space she continues to have in my heart - a permanent lease in my ever-expanding heart where Shen has been my inspiration, my guide, to take action and get involved in animal rescue.

I remember the first day i met this shaggy, scrawny 9 month old puppy at an adoption event in St. Louis, Missouri. Nobody wanted her. They thought she looked funny and was way too hyper. She was the one that everyone overlooked. I guess that's why she wiggled her way straight into my heart. That day i stopped by Whole Foods natural grocery store, and opened up a holistic veterinary health care book with a focus on eastern medicine. The page opened up to "Shen" (which means spirit - spirit of fire). That's it -- i would name my new puppy Shen. For the 11 years she blessed me with her presence, her goofiness, her loyalty .. i am forever grateful. She was my guide in many ways, appearing to me in dreams and showing me the way to follow my truth and my passion. Unfortunately fear held me back from taking action, and only after her passing, was i able to transform the deep grief in my heart, to do what it is I believe in - to be a voice for abandoned, abused and neglected animals. She is my spirit. She is my fire.

So, two years later, my sweet Shen may not physically be here, but her spirit lives on in me, in Missy, in the work I do with Pet Haven, and in a major leap I am about to take, today, as I take action to move into the next stage of my journey (more to come on this soon!).

Thank you sweet Shen for all you have given to me, and for filling me with your spirit and the courage i need to take steps to follow my truth, my passion. The next stage in my journey is dedicated to you.

3 comments:

  1. You are a special person Marilou, and anything you need from me you need only ask. Thank you for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's to leaping great big beautiful leaps!

    Here's to Shen.

    Here's to new beginnings and living heart-filled adventures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Babo. So glad you aren't waiting for christmas to do what you know you are suppose to do!
    Onward!

    ReplyDelete