Sunday, October 8, 2017

One day at a time ... Living life fully, Mister style!!!

Mister in 2009 :) ..running buddy!
For the past 6 weeks or so Mister has been limping (his left front leg). I gave it a few days to see if it would go away. It didn't so I brought him in to see the vet. They took X-rays and checked him out and didn't find anything. The vet thought it was probably a ligament or tendon he stretched or sprained. He got some pain meds (rimadyl) and I was instructed to try to keep him resting (which can be a challenge for this energetic/active boy!). He continued to limp. Something in my gut was telling me it wasn't a sprain ... I was hoping my gut was wrong. I was back at the vet for my other dog Missy (getting her platelets re-checked as she has immune mediated thrombocytopenia and we need to closely monitor her platelets). Missy's platelets were in the normal range and I told the vet (a different vet at the clinic) that i wasn't worried about Missy at this point. I was more concerned about Mister.  Even though X-rays didn't show anything something in my gut was telling me there was something else going on. I told him he was still limping. The lameness felt like there was something going on with his entire body. Something was very different. He was still a very happy go lucky boy, and his tail was wagging and he somehow figured out ways to compensate and get around, but he was clearly in pain and wouldn't put weight on his left front leg. I asked if it could be cancer. He explained a case with another dog where it turned out there was a mass pushing on his nerve and it did turn out to be cancer. He validated my gut instincts and recommended I bring him back in to get checked. I brought Mister back in on Thursday, 10/5. Mister was clearly still limping ... tail wagging vigorously though and being his usual upbeat, give me attention sweet boy :). My vet took more X-rays. Upon physical exam he pointed out how Mister's left scapula was larger than his right scapula. There was also muscle deterioration. We went over the X-rays together and he was concerned with what he saw and told me he was concerned it was one of two things ... bone disease caused by a fungus blastomyces or bone cancer (osteosarcoma). He wanted to send the X-rays off for a radiologist to review. Yesterday the call came from my vet. The radiologist confirmed what he thought. He sent a urine sample he had collected from Mister on Thursday off to check if it was blastomycosis. He suspects it isn't but wants to confirm. My gut tells me it is cancer. When he called yesterday to share the heart breaking news, he said to me, you were right. Your gut was right. Tomorrow (Monday) I will bring him for more X-rays (chest). We are going to see if the cancer has metastasized. My vet shared with me that this is an aggressive and painful cancer. Since last Thursday I have noticed a new mass on the left side of his chest by his left front leg. He has had a fatty cyst in that area for a while. This is a new lump, and it is a solid mass. My gut tells me it is a cancerous mass.

This morning I am reflecting on all the sweet memories this boy has given me .... from napping on coffee tables to 'eating' my work cell phone to going after a squirrel while we were running and I was training for my first marathon. I went head first into the concrete and when i was home icing it he was looking at me with these sad eyes ... I am sorry mom :).

I know we are embarking on a journey now ... another final walk. I have been asking Ahnung to guide us, to watch over Mister, to help us navigate these next days ...

I promise to listen to you Mister. To make whatever time you have left on this precious earth one filled with joy.

One day at a time sweet boy. We walk this together. We walk this till the very end. And when the time comes for you to cross over to the spirit world, Ahnung will be there to greet you. But until then, we do exactly what you have done for 11 years ... Live life fully with joy, each and every day!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment