Thursday, April 8, 2010

Is there such a thing as too many choices?

I was inspired by a Speaking of Faith blog posting today on Finding Freedom within Chosen Constraints. The beautiful painting on the left is by artist Ivette Guzman-Zavala who was inspired by a Sylvia Plath novel, The Bell Jar, which was published in the early 1960s. From the Speaking of Faith blog:

... the book's bright college-aged protagonist envisions her future life choices - motherhood, career, travel - as plump figs on a tree. She can't choose among these inviting figs and so she's paralyzed:

"I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet."

I have been a vegetarian now for over two decades. My reasons for being a vegetarian stemmed from health reasons ... they have since grown beyond that to a multitude of reasons of which a driving force is to live my life in harmony with my values and beliefs. I smiled as I read the Speaking of Faith blog ... I can't count the number of times I have sat in restaurants with friends or colleagues. They are presented with a plethora of menu options and choices. The struggle to choose ONE item from so many options. I've had friends asked, "do you know what you're getting? I can't decide!" My answer is often "yes." I smile. "It's a lot easier for me to decide as I only have a couple options to choose from." Then when it comes to drinks, I also don't have any choices. As a recovering alcoholic I no longer drink beer or wine or kahlua (which used to be my favorite!). I also gave up coffee, soda/pop and all sweet drinks. I have come to enjoy plain, simple, refreshing room temperature water.

We all want to have the freedom to make our own choice. We walk into a grocery story and the shelves are stacked with so many choices, brands, flavors .... how many sizes, flavors, options can we have? Sweetened, unsweetened, low-fat, high grain, low sodium, lactose free ... or when you stop at a Starbucks ... I remember the days when I would frequent a Starbucks every day ... "i'd like a grande vanilla soy steamer, no foam, extra hot." Some days i'd add "sugar-free".

For health and for personal reasons I have "given up a lot" ... or that's the perception of some friends and colleagues. I have a very restricted diet - vegetarian, no dairy, no refined sugars, coffee, alcohol. I don't smoke, I don't take any drugs (even aspirins or tylenol) ... the only medicine I take is my pancreatic enzymes (and my doctor tells me those aren't drugs!! :) I stay away from processed foods as much as possible and no fried foods.

Strangely, I feel like my life is more fulfilling than I could ever imagine. I like the simplicity of my life and that I don't need much or I don't want much. I love that I can walk into a grocery story and be out of there in 10 minutes and not be tempted by all the marketing gimmicks; I love that I have only a few choices from menus at restaurants; I guess I have created my life so that my choices are limited. I think there is still more I can do to bring my life to even more simplicity and to the bare essentials.

For now .. I guess i'm grateful for limited choices.  I close, again, with the line from Sylvia Plath's book that inspired the paintings by Ivette Guzman-Zavala.

"I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet."

2 comments:

  1. I too an a recovering alcoholic/drug user. More revelations! Your honestly helps others, you know.
    You have a whole lot of strength than I do. I still drink coffee - way too much!
    I would love to be strong enough to make some of the choices you have made.
    Sylvia Plath's last quote is profound to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sandy for your comments ... congrats also on being a recovering alcoholic/drug user. As for coffee ... I still think about that tasty cup :) You never know, I may slip and have a cup some day :)

    And yes, I love the quote from Sylvia Plath.

    ReplyDelete