Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Celebrating Life


Today I am celebrating my 48th birthday! Today I decided to take the day off from work and to celebrate life! My own health issues in the past couple years have taught me to be grateful for every day I have in this magnificent world ... and Ahnung's most recent bout with cancer in April has taught me to cherish every day and every moment I have with her. I have received the greatest gift I could ever ask for ... the chance to spend my birthday with my precious girl Ahnung. I'll be honest ... after Ahnung's major surgery on April 13th and after the doctors told me she had a rare invasive aggressive cancer and there wasn't anything we could do beyond the surgery, I braced myself for the worse ... the strong possibility that I would only have weeks, maybe months with her. We had the most incredible Celebration of Life party for her on April 22nd. I am so grateful for all the support, for the healing prayer circle led by my friend Merry Sawdey and the incredible photos taken by {lmj} Originals. We have now passed 4 months since her surgery and her second cancer diagnosis. We go back in at the end of the month for her 3 month check up with her vet. She's on chinese herbs and mushroom supplements and an anti-cancer diet. She is full of life and spunk, and breaks into puppy play with Legacy on a daily basis. And then she has quiet, wise, soulful moments. We have been visiting her friend 'M' in hospice every week.

If there's one thing I have learned over the years, it's that life will throw twists and turns. I love how author Jeff Goin eloquently states in the title of his new book: Wrecked: when a broken world slams into your comfortable life. As I reflect back over the past years I never would imagine I would be where I am today in my life. I am grateful for my life today. I am beyond grateful for the gift of Ahnung. I would be lying if I said I didn't worry about her. She has touched the lives and hearts of so many ... and my heart and her heart are forever bonded.

I love you Ahnung .... having you here by my side on my birthday is the best gift I could have ever asked for!!




No comments:

Post a Comment