Saturday, May 7, 2011

Let Life Happen to You


"What should I say about your tendency to doubt your struggle or to harmonize your inner and outer life? My wish is ever strong that you find enough patience within you and enough simplicity to have faith. May you gain more and more trust in what is challenging, and confidence in the solitude you bear. Let life happen to you. Believe me: life is in the right in any case."

~ Rainer Maria Rilke, from Letters to a Young Poet

Love this! Let life happen to you, and for me it's also about being grateful for all that life offers. I took yesterday off from work. My day began with an early morning meeting with my estate planning attorney. I have spent the past week reflecting and having conversations with friends about the legacy I want to leave behind, and making arrangements to ensure that my furkids (Ahnung, Missy and Mister) are well cared for should anything happen to me, and picking the charities that have touched me in some way  ... it's ironic that as I'm putting all my matters in order and reflecting on death that I feel the most alive. It can be difficult to have conversations about death yet it is something I believe is essential, and for me personally, something that will give me comfort to know that I have my matters in order before my heart procedure at the end of the month. My life is full of purpose, meaning, connection and love. How could I possibly ask for anything more than what I have in this moment? 

No comments:

Post a Comment