Friday, November 7, 2008

Writing the book of my life


A Voice Through the Door
- Rumi

Sometimes you hear a voice through
the door calling you, as fish out of

water hear the waves, or a hunting
falcon hears the drum's come back.

This turning toward what you deeply
love saves you. Children fill their

shirt with rocks and carry them
around. We're not children anymore.

Read the book of your life which has
been given you. A voice comes to

your soul saying, Lift your foot;
cross over; move into the emptiness

of question and answer and question.



In July of this year I spent a week up north in Ely -- much needed quiet time for reflection. It was in presence of the wolves up north where I realized I had been holding back in writing the book of my life. I reflect on it on my fifth day up north in my writing.

Since that time I have intentionally been listening to the voices through the door as they guide me to write the book of my life. I am getting ready to embark on a new adventure. With both fear and hope as my friends, I lift my foot, and cross over into a new chapter in my life.

What is the book of your life?
And are you slowing down enough to listen to the voices calling through the door?


What I can tell you is that these voices began as whispers for me, and as I created space for them to sing, it was as if I could feel the birth of a forest in my heart -- and out of the forest emerged the most beautiful music of the voices and cries of the wolves. I feel the vibration of life in the rawness of the deep forest and in the spirit of the wolves. I feel the vibration of life in my memory of Shen and in the eyes of Missy. And the silent, pulsing vibration is what moves me inward, then outward into this world, where I carry in my heart an image of a gentle, compassionate, loving world for all living beings.

The wolves gave me a gift -- the Book of my Life with only the intro written. Through their spirit, they moved me to begin filling the blank pages and writing. I share with you photos of these magical beings in a video I put together.


1 comment: