Friday, October 22, 2010

Hunter's Moon ...

I took this photo of the moon yesterday around 6:45 pm. Tonight is the night of the full Hunter's Moon. From the Earth Sky blog:

"For the world’s northern hemisphere, tonight is the night of the Full Hunter’s Moon. Watch it rise in the east tonight as the sun goes down. Like any full moon, the Hunter’s Moon will shine all night long. It’ll soar highest in the sky around midnight tonight and will set in the west tomorrow around sunrise.

The bright “star” near the moon tonight is really a planet, Jupiter.

Officially, the Hunter’s Moon is the full moon after the Harvest Moon, which is the full moon nearest the autumnal equinox."

For some reason I am drawn to the moon. Every night when I let the dogs out in the backyard before heading upstairs for bed I always look up into the night skies. On clear nights like last night with a full moon I can feel the energy and light reflecting off of the moon enter my body. And for several nights now it's been a joy to see such a bright star (which is Jupiter) close to the moon ... I always imagine the stars in the skies as spirits of loved ones who have passed on .... there is something magical, mysterious, mystical, miraculous and magnificent about the night skies for me. And when I am blessed to be out in the middle of nowhere and away from city lights, it's even more magical .... a symbolic reminder to me that even in pure darkness there is light and there is beauty .... our sun is what enables us to see our moon and the stars .... the stars in our galaxy ... it's hard for me to even grasp the miracle of a star. And so I ground myself and turn to my dog Ahnung, whose name means star in ojibway, and I remind myself that stars aren't just up in the skies, they are right here with us, on earth, in the present moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment