Saturday, September 25, 2010

Many doors to our soul

Wilderness Resort, Nisswa, MN
September, 2010. Photo by Mary Tinucci
Last night my partner and I went to the Billy McClaughlin concert. The first time I heard this incredible guitarist was when he opened for a Keri Noble concert many years ago. My partner Mary introduced me to Keri Noble a local Minnesotan singer/songwriter whose music comes straight from the depths of her soul and like an arrow reaches deep into your soul with her raw lyrics and often haunting melodies ...  and Bill McClaughlin, an acoustic guitarist does the same and has also overcome a debilitating neurological disease, focal dystonia, that put an end to his virtuoso guitar career about a decade ago. Last night was his first solo performance after learning to play with his left hand ... he has an incredible way of playing the guitar, his signature style .... like Keri Noble, he opens a door to your soul with not only his music, but also his passionate, fiery spirit, unwilling to give in to physical limitations and a debilitating neurological disease. And then we were introduced last night to a Texan acoustic guitarist who was inspired by Billy McClaughlin whom he saw perform in college ... this guitarist Rhett Butler ... all I can say is WOW!!! Rhett has been inspired by his brother who had been battling cancer for 28 years and passed away this past May. As I listened to him play ... at one point he was playing two guitars and the melody and the music that filled the auditorium was soul-piercing. It was as if I could feel him connecting with his brother and I could feel his brother in the auditorium with us, smiling ... as his spirit and soul continue to live on ...

I was reminded last night of how music touches my soul .... and then last night, as we walked out into the parking lot we were welcomed by an almost full moon that was glowing brightly, and off to the right was a bright star ... that bright star was Jupiter. And the night skies were filled with stars ... another door to our soul.

And this morning, I opened up to today's daily reading of Rilke, to the following poem:

My Own Deep Soul

You, my own deep soul,
trust me. I will not betray you.
My blood is alive with many voices
telling me I am made of longing.

What mystery breaks over me now?
In its shadow I come into life.
For the first time I am alone with you --

you, my power to feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment